We were treated to an evening of education (and delicious apps and wine from The Alfond Inn!) at Solutions Bridal recently where their lead stylist and in-house seamstress shared a wealth of knowledge regarding wedding gowns. I started my bridal career in couture gown sales and even after another 10 years of wedding planning, I still walked away with some new tools up my sleeve! Whether you’re a bride or planner, here are the top must-haves for your toolkit when it comes to wedding gown emergencies and keeping that gorgeous gown intact! Are any of these news to you?
- Safety pins | This one seems obvious but safety pins can do the trick when it comes to repairing a torn bustle mid-reception, pinning up the hem of a dress when the bride changes into flats, or pinning a broken strap on a dress.
- White candles | This one I had never heard of! In the case of a stuck zipper going up or down, rub a white candle’s wax onto the zipper to keep it moving smoothly.
- Hollywood Flash Tape | It’s been in our kits for years and is a must-have for wedding days and other dressy occasions. Keep straps in place and keep a neckline from exposing too much cleavage!
- Organza ribbon | Another I have never used but will be now! Organza ribbon can take the place of a strap that breaks, or can be pinned/sewn inside a dress to make a “belt” around the waist for a strapless dress that keeps sliding down.
- Baby wipes | These are safer on your gown or other fine fabrics than Tide sticks (though we use those a lot too!) or bleach pens, and usually do the trick when dealing with smudged makeup or other mishaps on a dress.
- Baby powder | Who knew this was a good choice for soaking up spilled wine or other liquid on a dress?
- Stapler | When in a hurry or without a better repair kit, just staple the dress! This one cracked me up but why not use a stapler to re-bustle in a pinch, tack up a hem, or reattach a strap?